A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tec's Perfect Pie Crust

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Tec's Perfect Pie Crust Empty
PostSubject: Tec's Perfect Pie Crust   Tec's Perfect Pie Crust EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 12:13 pm

I got this recipe off of celiacforums.com. This is one that TEC posted. It is FABULOUS!

The crust is easy to roll out. (One trick that I did before I started the recipe was that I drew a large circle on freezer/parchment paper. This was so that the dough would be the size that I needed to go up the sides of the panand the bottom with enough left over for a decorative edge.)

Spray the pie plate with some vegetable spray.

Roll the doulgh out on the circle. (One tip, you should spay with veggie spray and then powder with flour before you roll out the dough) You need to carefully lift the edge of the paper and pick the dough up and flip it over into the pie pan. Now GENTLY take the paper off of the pie dough. If you go slowly, you should only have minor holes or tears. You will be able to repair this with either you finger or the back of a spoon so that the shell is pretty..

For the finish, pinch the extra dough up to form an even "hill' around the edge of the entire plate. Now take the spoon handle and make empressions into the douhg so that you have the decorative edged.

Here's the recipe.

Perfect Gluten-Free Pie Crust
This recipe makes 2 9-inch pie crusts or 3 8-inch pie crusts.

1 cup white rice flour, plus extra for rolling
¾ cup potato starch
½ cup tapioca starch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (guar gum)
½ cup shortening [see TEC notes] (I used butter)
4 oz. cream cheese
1 egg + 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla [see TEC notes]
3 tablespoon very cold water

TEC Notes: Used 1/2 cup butter instead of shortening with excellent results. Used 1 teaspoon lemon juice instead of vanilla. Ran out of white rice flour so used 3/4 cup white rice flour and 1/4 cup brown rice flour. This dough is a bit difficult to work with. It repeatidly stuck to the silpat and waxed paper despite flour. I would suggest you just pat the dough into the pan. Then do the best you can if you need a top crust using lots of white rice flour to dust the work surface.

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening [butter] and cream cheese until the mixture is the size of peas. (I used my food processor on pulse)

Add eggs, vanilla and water to the dry ingredients. Mix the flour mixture until smooth and then give the dough a few turns. If the dough is sticky add a bit more white rice flour starting with a teaspoon at a time.

Form 2-3 balls depending on the size pan you're using and chill for several hours or overnight. I skipped this part. I mixed and then rolled the dough right out.

Place a ball in the center of a 8 or 9-inch pie pan and pat out covering bottom and sides of pan, press top edge into a design. If you worked the dough in a warm kitchen, place pie crust into the refrigerator or freezer for 10-15 minutes.

For a pre-baked crust, prick crust with a fork and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes or until crust is slightly browned.

If making a pie using filling that has to be baked or requires a top crust, partially bake the bottom crust for 5-7 minutes at 425 degrees F and then add the filling. While the bottom crust is baking, roll out the top crust on rice flour dusted pastry cloth, silpat or waxed paper and roll using a dusted rolling pin. Place the top crust on top of the filling and continue baking per pie instructions. Sprinkle sugar on top crust or lattice for fruit pies.
Back to top Go down

Tec's Perfect Pie Crust
Page 1 of 1