A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cherry Pie (YAY!)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty
PostSubject: Cherry Pie (YAY!)   Cherry Pie (YAY!) EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 am

OK, someone on another forum I am on was talking about making this wonderfully glutenous cherry pie, and I remembered - Cherry pie!! That's my favorite!!! (in fact, it was the only pie in my pre-gluten-free days that I could eat without having a terrible upset tummy and long recovery time from.. Dunno why, but it was just that way. (I think it has to do with the fruit more than not.. but I could make some apple pie to test that theory)

Anyway, I just got really bothered upset that I had no idea how to make a cherry pie on my own, let alone have a cherry pie from the store - that I spent most my free time yesterday afternoon looking for a cherry pie filling recipe! Rolling Eyes Yes, me - two and a half free hours; sitting in front of my laptop looking for a cherry pie recipe that sounded like something I'd had before.

I found it too!

Recipezaar has this wonderful cherry pie filling recipe that I modified. I just didn't add the red food dye and I certainly wasn't about to add in almond flavoring to ruin my already cherry perfection.

The recipe for the cherry filling can be found here. The pie crust recipe I borrowed from a fellow poster at another Celiac board I was on before (I still can't get back in! Crying or Very sad ), and I decided to leave out the water this time since I used three eggs. It took about 1 additional cup to this mix to get it in a workable 'mold' to even begin to flour and spread out.

I use this recipe for everything from pie crust (baked pies and fridgerator pies) to 'whatever'. I'm actually thinking of modifying my mom's GF Poptart recipe by using this, and just doing a standard glaze icing over the top and seeing if that works better for toasting.

Here's a photo of the two little tartlets I have left after eating one last night and one today, and of the pie:

Cherry Pie (YAY!) 100_8060

Cherry Pie (YAY!) 100_8061

I think for a first time having made a pie like this, (and having to put a top over it!) that I did a mighty fine job. (if I do say so myself) DH helped me put the tops on the tartlets and on the pie.. all the rest I did totally by myself and hoping and praying I hadn't just wasted an hour or so of my time doing it, let alone the $ down the drain if it were wrong. lol!

Thankfully I had nothing to worry about. Now, what do I do with all of this pie? Freeze it? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty
PostSubject: Cherry Cheesecake ( Quick to make!)   Cherry Pie (YAY!) EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow, Are you celebrating Presidents day over there too? Wink

They look marvelous! I have not been a pie baker, but some of the recipes I have in some of my GF books keep tempting me and the recipe for crust I tried worked well and easy for the pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving, no one could tell the difference.

here's a quicky version of a cheese cherry pie from the book The GF Gourmet

1-8oz cream cheese
1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1-21 oz can cherry pie filling

1/3 cup lemon juice fresh or bottle
1 teas vanilla
1 Cereal or cookie crust ( shortbread cookies crumbled to fine crumbes and added butter makes a great crust for this)

Let C cheese sit out until soft in a large bowl, then beat until fluffy, add the milk and beat until smooth. Add lemon juice and vanilla , beat just until mixed in well. Pour into prepared crust. Chill until set, about 3-4 hours. Top with chilled filling. Keep refridgerated of course!

Makes 6 servings or 1 extra large serving for those with a cherry cheesecake fetis! Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty
PostSubject: Cherry Torte   Cherry Pie (YAY!) EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Hey, I love your cute little cooling rack, are there other things besides scottie dogs on there? Smile

Here's a Cherry Torte recipe from Mary Anne Wenniger that I've adapted

Make the dough ( the crust)

Beat 1/2 c softened butter with 5 tbls powdered sugar until fluffy. Sift together 1/2 each tapioca flour, rice flour, and cornstarch. Blend them into the butter mixture. Now pat this into a 9" square pan ( already greased) Set your oven to 350 (or 180c or gas mark 4) and prick the crust with a fork all over. Then bake for 15 minutes, remove form oven.

Now for the Topping

Whisk together 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cp sugar, 1/2 teas salt, 1 tea GF vanilla

in a small bowl stir together, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, baking powder, then cream of tartar ( 1/2 teas). Add this to the egg mixture. Then stir in 1/2 any nut, chopped coursly ( almonds go well) and 1 can pitted sour cherries , drained.

Putting it all together

Spread this topping over the baked crust. , return to oven and bake for another half hour. Then let cool. and serve with ice cream or whipped topping

Enjoy!hello
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Pie (YAY!)   Cherry Pie (YAY!) EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 am

ohhh! Those look so tempting!

I'll be making chocolate cake and possibly a carrot cake today if I still feel up to it.

Today is the last day of Carnival (Fasching) here.... 'Fat Tuesday'... tomorrow being Ash Wednesday, I guess they decided in our area to just have a public holiday and let everyone off rather than listen to the complaining and whining about not being able to party.
So schools are out and so are most non-essential workplaces.

I spent most the time just resting. I checked my recipe for dinner tonight so I guess I need to start working on that so DH doesn't have a lot of waiting when he gets home for dinner.

I have been looking everywhere for some more of those 'hot pads'.. these were the only ones I could find with an animal motif at the discount store we shop at occasionally. They did have some with cats, one with roosters and one with horses... and then there are geometric shapes... it's been months since I could find any more. No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Pie (YAY!)   Cherry Pie (YAY!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Cherry Pie (YAY!)
Page 1 of 1