A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake) Empty
PostSubject: Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake)   Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 am

don't ask me how I found it, I dunno. LOL

Quote :

This is a recipe I adapted to be GF - I homeschool my kiddos and we were doing a unit study on Greece. This is a Greek cake they made in home ec. It tastes a lot like baklava. It doesn't have the nice flaky texture... but the flavor is there!

Syrup:

1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. orange liqueur (I used 1/2 c. thawed orange juice concentrate).

In a small sauce pan, combine the water and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the orange juice or liqueur. Set aside and allow to cool.

Cake:

1/2 lb. butter, melted
2 c. flour blend (the original recipe called for regular flour. I used a mix of 1/4 c. rice flour, 1/2 c. tapioca flour, 1/2 c. potato starch flour, 3/4 c. corn starch. You could probably use your favorite mild flavored all purpose flour blend, though.)
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
3 large eggs
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. grated orange rind
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 c. ground walnuts
1 c. plain yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush a 9" tube pan with some of the melted butter and dust with rice flour.

Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, remaining butter and orange rind; mix until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine the flour mix, baking powder, and walnuts. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat thoroughly, removing any lumps. Fold in the yogurt.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Remove the cake form the oven and let cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Using a fork, poke holes into the surface of the cake. Pour the cooled syrup over the top of the cake and let it stand at least three hours before serving.

To store, wrap well in saran wrap and keep in the fridge.
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake)   Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:26 am

Shocked they look so good. Someone tell me not to make them this week! LOL
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake)   Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm

The process sounds similar to the first GF cake I made, not sure if I posted it somewhere, it was a lemon cake, infused with the lemon sauce you pour on after it's baked. I made this in the fall but I know it would be great on a hot summer evening or for a light luncheon, especially after serving fish. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake)   Karydopita (Greek Honey Soaked Walnut Cake) Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1