A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 am

OK, I changed my mind on the menu for one of the nights this week, which I think will be tonight.

I was going to make a Kosher version to German potato salad (using kosher kielbasa sausage).... but I saw this recipe yesterday and then realized... I need hushpuppies and cocktail sauce and tartar sauce to go with it!!

So, in a few minutes I'll scoot on into the kitchen and get this prepped for cooking tonight, and the 'puppies' prepped for frying and freezing... as I just know there'll be another day I want hushpuppies and won't want to make bread.

Wild Rice Salmon Cakes --- Gluten Free Mommy

Traditional Southern Hushpuppies (naturally GF!) from About.com

Cocktail Sauce -- Cooks.com

Tartar Sauce -- Cooks.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 pm

These were soooooooo good!

I cut up (diced?) one salmon fillet and put it in my blender with all the wet ingredients and let it mix, then mixed it all with the rice it called for, and prepped it on a baking sheet before I went to my Dr Appt today... So they were in the fridge about 2 hours.

The hushpuppies are awesome.

I'd eyeball it a bit with the tartar sauce, it needs more horseradish than it calls for --- and same for the cocktail sauce. Be careful also with that one, I had to cook it on the stove to thicken it up to the right consistancy. Otherwise itwas an awesome dinner all around Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bete'avon!
Admin

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:12 pm

You cooked your cocktail sauce? Suspect

lol!

Please register and join us, it will only take a minute! We are here to help each other, so please join and share your experiences with CD, your tips, troubles, recipes, and sources. We are a peculiar minority but we need to ban together!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:23 am

Yes, as crazy as it sounds.

The tomato sauce here is so different than back home! Surprised I had to let it thicken... and I even added ketchup to it so it had the right consistancy and taste.. it was kind of frustratingly soupy...

You guys are soooooooo lucky to be able to get American canned tomatos and sauce! I think next time I'll just get the canned tomatos and crush them in the blender, taste and modify from there, THEN add all the other stuff.

Live and learn, eh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bete'avon!
Admin

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Wow, I didn't think about having to cook the tomatoes first! I guess I don't use it that much so didn't think about it. If I wanted to make it, I would probably use my organic GF ketchup and add some relish and horseradish sauce to it. Not sure what it would be used on though, only familiar with people putting it on shrimp and clams. tongue

Which reminds me, of a friend that grew up Conservative and in his house they could eat 'Kosher' shrimp, they were taught it was 'kosher' if it had cocktail sauce on it. Wink Go figure.!lol!

Please register and join us, it will only take a minute! We are here to help each other, so please join and share your experiences with CD, your tips, troubles, recipes, and sources. We are a peculiar minority but we need to ban together!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!   

Back to top Go down

Wild Rice Salmon Cakes.... and hushpuppies!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1