A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source! Empty
PostSubject: GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!   GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Check out this information posted on Gluten Free Bay.

This oat matzah cost 20$, three matzoh per box!

Less than the UK One.... but still not something most of us can afford Sad
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!   GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source! EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 2:03 pm

I'll say! I am still going to try my hand at making it for the seder. I don't eat that much bread during the week anyway so won't need much for that.
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!   GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:20 am

I could not afford it so this is what I did. First I tried the recipe using the gluten free pantry mix. It was ok, but kinda dry and unappentizing, but just perfect for the bread of affliction. Then I tried gluten free girls recipe and not sure if her measurments were wrong or what but these fell apart after baking. I think too much shortening.

So then with less than one day to go, I braved it and tried something on my own. I had a box of uncontaminated toasted oats.

I took these, sprinkled some into the processor bowl and pulsed until it was of a whole wheat texture, then I added a bit of water and pulsed just till it came together. I added a bit of rice flour and some salt and mixed to it went into a ball, just a few seconds. (I had set my timer to 18 minutes and hit is to start as soon as I added the water.)

Then I pulled off walnut sized pieced, rolled them in my hands to make a ball and pushed them down onto the foil lined pan. I took a small plastic baggie and covered it and used a small rolling pin to roll them out to about 1/16 to 1/8th inch thick. Baked on 450 for 9 minutes and took out when the edges just started to brown. I then let them cool on the pan 10 minutes and then moved them to the cooling rack.

They were a hit at the Seder. I made 13 and only two were left. They all said they liked them best. When I went to break one in half it was a bit soft, chewy like, not hard at all, with a bit of taste, but not so much you didn't know you were eating matzah.

I will try and make another batch later this week and experiment with some different temps and times and let you know.
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!   GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source! Empty

Back to top Go down

GF Shemurah Oat Matzoh-- New Source!
Page 1 of 1