A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gluten and Wheat free

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NiKartinka

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Gluten and Wheat free Empty
PostSubject: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 am

Hello everyone,
I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease five years ago and have since been following a gluten free diet. I have always thought that all gluten free products are wheat free also, but was recently told that it is not true. Does anyone know what gluten free products have wheat in them?
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:41 am

Hello! Smile

Unfortunately I do not know the name-brand, but there are several ""Gluten free"" products that have wheat in them that have been stripped of the gluten.

My husband had gotten some gluten free bread mix from a supplier here in Germany and I read the lable again 2 weeks ago and saw it was GF but not wheat free... so it's still on our shelf waiting for him to figure out a way to use it without me having contact with it.

If you read the lables on most glutano or glutino based products, they will list as gluten and wheat free .. same with Dr Schär products... I have seen some imported things from the UK however, that are not wheat free but are gluten free.

I haven't a clue how they get around that. I wish I did.

we recently found DS Brand items in a store not too far from us, and they seem ok on most items (you do have to check though while keeping kosher that there aren't any pork or "other" non kosher items... they have hamburger buns, tiramisu, crackers and the like, and fish (Pollock) sticks
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyThu May 01, 2008 4:21 am

NiKartinka wrote:
Hello everyone,
I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease five years ago and have since been following a gluten free diet. I have always thought that all gluten free products are wheat free also, but was recently told that it is not true. Does anyone know what gluten free products have wheat in them?

Hello and welcome!

I am fairly new to this myself and have never heard of this. I know that some products may be gluten free in their natural state but because of processing then they have wheat added , but that adds gluten but it isn't considered part of the product. For instance chopped dates, now while dates do not contain any gluten, the chopped dates are tossed with some flour to keep them from sticking together, but they don't consider this part of the product. Same with production lines, which may use flour but not list it. Is this what you mean?

glad to have you onboard! How did you find us?

Bete` avon!
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
NiKartinka

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptySun May 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you for your help and sorry for the late reply. I found you through google. I'm doing research for my marketing project and your answers have been very helpful:).

HadassahSukkot, I have no idea how you strip the product of gluten without stripping it of wheat, as well. Wheat contains gluten so in order to remove gluten one needs to remove wheat, right?Smile

Bete'avon, I will be staying away from chopped dates from now on:). I actually meant a product off the shelf, like a snak bar, that says that its gluten free but not wheat free. I have never stumbled across it myself but some people did. What I was interested in is how you strip a product of gluten without stripping it of wheat in the process? And are there some products that are gluten free but still contain wheat?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyMon May 05, 2008 1:39 am

I really don't know how that can be done as I understand it, even in its natural state of the grain on the stalk can be dangerous to us. I found out recently I have the dermatological 'celiac as well . I found out by a stalk of wheat brushing ever so gently up against my hand and I had a reaction so it doesn't' need to be ground and processes with any liquid to develop the gluten for us to have a reaction.
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:02 am

I have seen where in the UK they do this for folks who have wheat gluten sensitivity but not full out coeliac disease... and there was the one bread my DH got and we still haven't gotten rid of that has wheat stripped of the gluten in it..

I wish i knew but I'm having trouble looking up the information. I do recall it being mentioned when we did a walk-through tour of the local "Whole Foods Market" back in Alabama when I was living there, as some crackers and the like that were imported from the UK said "Gluten free" but when you read the ingredients list, wheat was clearly listed up top!

it is mindboggling.. but I guess it makes sense if you have a *wheat gluten allergy* and not full out celiac disease..
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm

You may want to check out this little video. In it he says something like you can take the gluten out of wheat flour , first by rinsing it and then by kneading it until all the starch is gone. Listen to it carefully, it may help you find what you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3tL4uvpAY&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gluten and Wheat free   Gluten and Wheat free Empty

Back to top Go down

Gluten and Wheat free
Page 1 of 1