A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Beef Stew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Beef Stew   Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm

I found some organic/Kosher london broil and didn't know what to do with it. It was a small piece so I decided to cut it into cubes and made a stew. My husband just called from work and he and a co-worker (whom I sent in some for him too) just finnished it and are raving about it so I figured I better write down the recipe before I forget.

3 large carrots
6 small turnips ( young ones, no bigger than a kiwi)
a dozen new potatoes
1/2 large read onion cut in large pieces
half a leek, sliced
Kosher sherry
sage, parsley rosemary if you want.
Olive oil
Cornstarch

Peel turnips and carrots, not potatoes, just wash they well. Steam potatoes whole, carrots cut into 1 inch peices, turnips in quarters for 20 mintues, remove turnips steam carrots and potatoes for another 10-15 until tender but not soggy. You can do this the day before and chill.

Sweat onion in about 1 tbls olive oil for 5 minutes. Add leeks. cook for another 2-3 min. Turn up heat and add beef, and sear quickly. Add a splash or two of kosher sherry to deglaze pan. turn down heat. Add about 3 cups water ( or organic veg broth) . Turn heat to med low. Add potatoes, carrots, turnips. Add fresh sage and parsley, and some Israeli spices ( I have the recipe for this if anyone wants it, you can't get in stores). Let simmer 1 hour. Then add 1 tbls of cornstarch to 1/4 water stir well and remove lumps. Turn up heat to boil and add cornstarch while stirring the whole time. Let boil for one minute, shut off. Serves 4 for dinner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Beef Stew   Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:53 pm

Sounds good, where do you get small turnips like that? I've never seen them in my market.Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Beef Stew
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1