A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chex has gone GF!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Chex has gone GF!   Chex has gone GF! EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 am

My mother used to throw lots of parties, open house type so peeps could come and go during a set time window. Lots of party foods, which I used to help her make, all finger type foods. One thing we always had and made lots of it was Chex mix. There is something about that which is habit forming and you have to be careful! When I went GF I thought I had to kiss that good memory goodbye forever. But now I've found out that Chex is making many of their cereals GF, and they are OU kosher!

Here's the website which includes many recipes to make using these old favorites and new ones. ( Scroll down that same page to see them all , pictures included)

These are the GF flavors they have right now:

(PARVE)
Rice
Corn
Honey Nut

(Dairy)
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Strawberry

Check out your local store and give them a try~!

You can make the chex mix with the Rice and corn and won't even miss the wheat ( I never liked that kind anyway! ) lol!
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chex has gone GF!   Chex has gone GF! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 5:26 am

Ok, since I have discovered that Chex had specific GF cereals I looked for them in my store and have since tried 4 of the six kinds.

This is strictly my opinion and yours will vary. Smile

Rice - Tastes like the cereal I ate long ago. Really no difference, slightly bland, slightly sweet taste, sogs up in the bowl quickly so I like to add milk a little at a time.

Ingredients: Rice, Whole Grain Rice, Sugar, Salt , Molasses, Vitamin E and BHT for preservation of freshness. Then there are a bunch of added vitamins and minerals

Corn - This has a heartier taste, and pretty much tastes like I remember. It doesn't sog up as quickly but more so that Environkids cereals for sure.

Ingredients: Corn Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Sugar, Corn Starch, salt, baking soda, Brown sugar syrup. BHT, again with addition of Vitamins and minerals.

Cinnamon - (Allergen Alerts - Peanut, Milk)The Box Says, 'GF Cinnamon Naturally Flavored Chex - With a Touch of Real Cinnamon' I'm not sure why they make this statement on the box, being Naturally flavored and 'a touch' concerning the cinnamon as I see no other place in the ingredients that it is anything more than natural cinnamon. They have made this cereal quite tasty and my husband has taken to it, as all men might being cinnamon is an attractant to the male noise and taste buds. I would discourage from eating this on a daily basis though, the sugar content is high (2gms on the Rice and 8 grams on this one). They have varied the taste so it isn't too overpowering by making this a mix and by that I mean that they have plain squares of the rice and corn mixture and then using the same ones I think, have coated those with the sugary cinnamon mixture. Tastes great outside the cereal bowl so a little bag is great to carry with you to get you through from the unfriendly glutened world back home. For me they are a bit too sweet, but my favorite cereal used to be plain old Cheerios.Wink Hubbys and kids should love it though, you could give them this as a treat move than a cereal though, strictly to good whole grains like uncontaminated oatmeal and tasty hot cereal by Bob's Red Mill. I personally don't like all the sugars, fructose, and canola added.

Ingredients: Whole grain rice, corn Meal, sugar, Fructose, Corn Starch, Canola oil, Rice flour, salt, cinnamon, Brown sugar syrup, yellow corn flour , soy lecithin, color, (yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2 Lake) Peanut flour, nonfat milk, Vitamin E and BHT. Also contain other vitamins and minerals.

Strawberry - (Allergen Alerts - Peanut, Milk, Soy) The box says 'Same great taste', so I guess this means that the glutened variety has been on the market for awhile. Since I haven't bought regular cereals for quite awhile (before going GF 3 years ago I was trying to only eat healthy, organic cereals) I didn't know of this new product. I only gave this a quick taste straight out of the box and it was way too sweet for me, which explains why my husband is on his second, or is it third box? Rolling Eyes I've got the box here and am half afraid to even look at the ingredients!

Ingredients: Rice, Whole Grain Rice, Sugar, Fructose, Canola oil, Salt, Molasses, Maltodextrin, soy Lecithin, Red 40 Lake, Natural and artificial flavor, soy flour, nonfat milk, Peanut flour, Vitamin E BHT.

Honey Nut and Chocolate still to be tasted, but I'm afraid they will be just as sweet.

But on the good side I am going to make for Sukkot some Chex mix ( sans bagels, which I found the recipe on the box and it says 'Original Recipe' which I can verify that isn't true, I was helping my mother make this back 40 years ago before there was such a thing as Bagel chips!) and enjoy the taste of celebrations and good times again! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Chocolate and Honey Nut review   Chex has gone GF! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Well I've finally tried the last two. The chocolate I tried first and was so turned off it took me until today to try the Honey nut.

First the Chocolate - Let me put it this way if a person was introduced to chocolate this way, the town of Hershey Pa. would go bankrupt in a minute and all other Chocolate producing towns as well. I'd say the Stock Market would take quite a hit too. Twice I have mistakenly poured it thinking it was the Cinnamon (without my glasses on I see the big 'C' and early in the morning think Cinnamon) and I poured it right back into the box. Even hubby doesn't like it and he's a chocolate milk aficionado! So it just sits there in the pantry waiting for someone to be despite enough or not awake enough to eat it. Nuff said.

Honey Nut - Now it's been awhile since I've had any cereal labeled Honey nut and those were probably Cheerios. I think I told you before that my only fav cereal was original Cheerios because they weren't too sweet or granola sometimes when I feel like taking forever to eat breakfast. These taste nothing like I remember of a Honey nut flavor. In fact I don't think I can relate them to tasting like anything. At first taste they are sickeningly sweet, which without reading the box I taste sugar and possibly corn syrup Embarassed I certainly don't taste any honey and Nuts? The only other taste I can detect in there is what is that, molassas? Not sure but I really don't care for this one either. This bowl today will probably be my first and last one. Not as bad as the chocolate or Strawberry but definatly won't get my buck again, not even with a coupon!

So let me now go look at the ingredients and share with you.

Ingredients: Corn Meal, Whole Grain corn, Honey, salt, brown sugar, Molasses, rice bran and. or canola oil, color added, natural and artificial flavor, natural almond flavor, BHT added for freshness

And there you have it! Yes, you can tell its from corn, it holds up better in the milk, but the honey, second? must be a very low grade honey, and it definately doesn't have a good brown sugar taste and just barelly I made out the molassas. On the package it says, "With a touch of Honey" I think it should say 'Nuts' instead of the 'Honey'! Natural Almond flavor? from what? It's not Almonds for sure.

You may not find these as unappealing as I do, but if you are used to eating these type cereals that may be why. I have been only eating GF organic cereals for the past three years and as natural and organic ones of the gluten variety before that. So give them a try, but I'll stick to the Rice and Corn, and sparingly at that!
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Chex Mix   Chex has gone GF! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Some good news to share. I made the Traditional Chex mix for the Succos holiday and it turned out fine. I used Lea and Perrins Worchestershire Sauce which is Gf and Wegmans mixed nuts, again labeled GF, organic butter, McCormick garlic, onion and because we can't have seasoning salt I used a bit of sea salt and curry powder and a bit of Cayanne powder. It was great! Oh, and I bought the small bag of glutino pretzels and still have enough to make about 3 more batches!

So it's good for this old time treat!

The ratio I used ( because even on the GF box they use the Gluten version of the recipe , calling for the WHEAT chex, can you believe it?) It was supposed to be 3 cups of each kinds, corn, rice wheat. I used 4 rice and 5 corn because the corn holds up better to the stirring it needs while baking, and less debris at the bottom of the bowl! Smile

Bete'avon!
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chex has gone GF!   Chex has gone GF! EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

aww, this makes me seriously wish that I could get General Mills products on the economy! I might just have to bother my cousin in Bavaria and find out if he can get the gluten free chex. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chex has gone GF! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chex has gone GF!   Chex has gone GF! Empty

Back to top Go down

Chex has gone GF!
Page 1 of 1