A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Organic farmers fear spread of genetically altered alfalfa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Organic farmers fear spread of genetically altered alfalfa   Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:08 am

Wisconsin is a long way from the Pacific Northwest, but Coon Valley farmer Jim Munsch worries that genetically engineered alfalfa grown there could contaminate his farm and harm his organic beef business.Alfalfa is used for livestock feed. Almost all of the seed comes from a concentration of growers in states such as Montana and Washington.Munsch worries that genetically engineered alfalfa, called Roundup Ready, threatens to contaminate alfalfa seed farms in the Northwest and ruin traditional strains of the ubiquitous crop nationwide.

Other Wisconsin farmers worry that cross-pollination could occur in their own backyard if genetically engineered alfalfa spreads from field to field.

Either event could be very harmful for the fast-growing organic food industry nationwide. It could scare away customers who pay premiums for food that's raised naturally without the use of biotechnology.

"If I were forced to feed a genetically modified crop to my animals, it would violate the trust I have with my customers," Munsch said. "They have formed opinions about what they will and won't eat. And one of those opinions is that anything genetically modified is not
appropriate" in the food chain.

I wholeheartedly agree!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Organic farmers fear spread of genetically altered alfalfa   Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 pm

I had a feeling looking at the quote this had to do with Monsanto.

I swear those guys are pure evil Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1