A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kate's wraps

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Kate's wraps Empty
PostSubject: Kate's wraps   Kate's wraps EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 12:12 pm

I just cooked this recipe and we'll be trying it sometime soon to see if this is workable for sack lunches.. thought you guys might want to check this one out.

http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/

I didn't have brown rice flour, so I used Glutinous rice flour, it was all I had... Very Happy

The one thing I will warn you though, is that this recipe is super sticky. I would suggest spraying olive oil on a long strip of saran wrap (or your fav plastic wrap) and putting it on top of the bread mix to spread it thin, as this is really annoying to get to spread.

I used veggie shortening to grease my pan and then just used my regular flour mix to 'flour' it (the tapioca flour, rice flour potato starch one) and it seems to have done well. I didn't have a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet, just the 'drip pan' that came with the oven so I used that. It has enabled me to make three really long strips for wraps... now, if I could just find fine deli meat to complete it... LOL

I'll let you know how it goes, and will attack DH when he gets home so I can take a photo to show you what mine came out looking like.

I will try next time to not let it rise, and see what kind of difference I have. My mom and sister rave over this bread mix, so I am guessing I'll like it too. Wink
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Kate's wraps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kate's wraps   Kate's wraps EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm

HadassahSukkot wrote:
I just cooked this recipe and we'll be trying it sometime soon to see if this is workable for sack lunches.. thought you guys might want to check this one out.

http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/

I didn't have brown rice flour, so I used Glutinous rice flour, it was all I had... Very Happy

The one thing I will warn you though, is that this recipe is super sticky. I would suggest spraying olive oil on a long strip of saran wrap (or your fav plastic wrap) and putting it on top of the bread mix to spread it thin, as this is really annoying to get to spread.

I used veggie shortening to grease my pan and then just used my regular flour mix to 'flour' it (the tapioca flour, rice flour potato starch one) and it seems to have done well. I didn't have a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet, just the 'drip pan' that came with the oven so I used that. It has enabled me to make three really long strips for wraps... now, if I could just find fine deli meat to complete it... LOL

I'll let you know how it goes, and will attack DH when he gets home so I can take a photo to show you what mine came out looking like.

I will try next time to not let it rise, and see what kind of difference I have. My mom and sister rave over this bread mix, so I am guessing I'll like it too. Wink

Most GF doughs are sticky, your's may have been more so because you used the Sweet rice, the glutenous rice flour. That is what is used for making creamy rice pudding because it stickes together. Have you tried using a silicon spatula or wetting your hands to spread it? That may help. I use my silicon spatulas for everything and doesn't stick as much, especially if you give it a fine spray with water before using.

I'll have to give these a try, right now we are experimenting with hamburger or sandwich/sub rolls.
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Kate's wraps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kate's wraps   Kate's wraps EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 am

I tried it with a silicon spatula and actually it spread better using the greased (olive oil) saran wrap and then "Peeling off" with an older plastic spatula (really basic kind).

it came out about the color of a white cake mix (light brown) and folded very well. DH wanted me to make him a peanut butter sandwich with one and a Nutella (chocolate and hazelnut spread) with the other for his snack. I'll have to wait about another hour or two to hear how he liked it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kate's wraps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kate's wraps   Kate's wraps Empty

Back to top Go down

Kate's wraps
Page 1 of 1