A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Falafel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Falafel Empty
PostSubject: Falafel   Falafel EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 11:56 am

NGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 2 tablespoons flour
* Salt
* Pepper
* Oil for frying

PREPARATION:
Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.
Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

Serve hot.

Serving Suggestion
Falafel can be served as an appetizer with hummus and tahini, or as a main course. Stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, tahini, salt and pepper. As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger.

Serves 4.

Note:

I didn't have fresh onion, so I just threw in about 1/2 tsp of dried. I also didn't have cumin.

One thing I did do, was I used left over 'stale' bread and made breadcrumbs (about a cup, I really didn't measure.. Suspect ) and threw that in as well. I also did not have fresh garlic, so I did that at about 1/4th tsp.

I will flour these with just a little Tapioca flour and fry them in a little oil.

I'll try to remember to post the pita recipe later. I'm trying to watch the weather (it's turning to thunderstorm time) so I can get things done before it is really Shabbat. I think I have about an hour and a half so I am trying to make these and another meal at the same time so we have stuff for Shabbat tomorrow (definitely a first!).

Thus far it looks reallly good. I wanted to have falafel before, but once I saw it was floured and most Greek or Turkish recipes also have bread crumbs I balked.

If this is as good as it currently smells, I will be making more so I have a real lunch after classes during the week. Smile
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Falafel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falafel   Falafel EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 1:22 pm

FYI, I didn't get to make the pita, so maybe tomorrow evening and I'll just warm it up.

Be patient with falafel, because when cooking GF items like this, they fall apart because there isn't much 'gluten' IYKWIM to help gel the items together. No

If there are too many bread crumbs, they fall ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL apart. If there's a correct consistancy, no problems arise. Cool
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Falafel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falafel   Falafel EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 1:30 pm

For a really authentic tasting low cal baked version, try this

Falafel

4 cups cooked chickpeas
4 slices dried bread ( use up your GF bread here)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
8 scallions ((green onions)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teas baking powder
2 tea ground cumin
1 tea ground coriander
1/2 tea ground red pepper ( cayanne)

You may want to add an egg because of the GF bread, to help hold it all together.

Pre heat oven to 350

Make Sauce and relish

Sauce
1/2 cup tahini ( you can get this canned , it's sesame paste)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tbls honey
1 tbls lemon juice ( fresh is best)
1 tbls water

Mix all together in a small bowl, add additional water if too thick it should be like heavy cream

The Relish
1 large ripe tomato, diced fine
1/2 english cucumber diced ( or whatever fresh pickle or cuke you have)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup diced sweet onion , Vidalia or red even
1 tbls fresh lemon juice
S&P to taste

Mix all together and set on table

Make falafel,

Mix peas, crumbled bread, and all other ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped and incorporated. Pour out into a bowl and knead together by hand until well combined.

Prepare baking sheet , line with parchment or spray with oil spray.

Form falafel into balls the size of key limes. Then flatten between your hands and place on sheet. When they are all formed, spray with oil spray.

Bake for 10 minutes, turn, bake for another 5 mintues until golden brown on both side.

These can be served with GF pitas, or just serve on a plate with the relish on the side and top with the sauce. A green salad goes well with these too!
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Falafel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falafel   Falafel EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm

I found a solution to the falafel fall apart... I haven't decided when I will feel up to trying this, but it looks great in theory!

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/falafel-on-flat-bread-with-creamy-cilantro-sauce/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Falafel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falafel   Falafel Empty

Back to top Go down

Falafel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Very Peculiar People :: Recipe Swap :: Vegetarian-
Jump to: