A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?   Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 10:50 am

I was wondering how the rest of you will be coping with the holidays. There are relatively few of us for Thanksgiving, so we will likely invite folks over on Thursday or cart everything over to my inlaws since my MIL had surgery this week...

Of course I'll be cooking everything next week.... and maybe conning my DH into learning how to do some of this...

And for Hanukkah we haven't yet made too many plans since I am trying to find a cast iron pan and candy thermometer (so I can make doughnuts and latkes).
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?   Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm

HadassahSukkot wrote:
I was wondering how the rest of you will be coping with the holidays. There are relatively few of us for Thanksgiving, so we will likely invite folks over on Thursday or cart everything over to my inlaws since my MIL had surgery this week...

Of course I'll be cooking everything next week.... and maybe conning my DH into learning how to do some of this...

And for Hanukkah we haven't yet made too many plans since I am trying to find a cast iron pan and candy thermometer (so I can make doughnuts and latkes).

I have been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the past 30 years, I have recipes I have made my traditions that date that far back. But instead of just revamping them this year I will be trying some new things.

This is the menu so far

Appetizers for the game before dinner ( I found my local store now has pre-made dips that are GF and Kosher! which makes me very happy as I had to give away my Liptons Kosher soup and dip mixes. Something else I came up with that is GF, corn chips ( GF ones of course, but are usually easy to find) and place them around a block of GF cream cheese that you have set out for about 20 minutes and covered with Gold's kosher duck sauce which is also GF. It makes a tasty and intriguing appetizer, especially if you get the garlic or extra spicy kind. Smile

Curried Pumpkin/Butternut squash soup
Roasted Turkey with sage lemon under the skin ( thankfully the kosher bird I usually get is GF)
Cranberry pineapple chutney
Gravy made with corn starch
Mashed potatoes with turnips
Baked Delicata squash with garlic and praline sauce
Green and Yellow beans with red peppers
Yam bake with cranberries and pecans
Cornbread stuffing with turkey sausage and apples, raisins
Cranberry Orange bread ( from GF gourmet)

Pumpkin cheesecake with a GF nut pie crust and praline topping ( this is to die for! )

I hope your MIL is feeling well enough to enjoy!

As for Hanukkah, I didn't realize until recently it was Dec 6th this year! Oy vay! I gotta get busy! I usually use this time of year to have over couples during the week for dinner and a big party on the last night, so I will have to get busy planning and see what I can come up with. I won't have any problem with the latkes, I practiced many different kinds with all the summer produce, in fact some are in the freezer still because I made too many! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?   Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 am

Well, MIL and FIL decided they didn't want to join this year. We had friends over.

I made two hens since we couldn't order a turkey in time this year.. it came out well. I use mayo to keep the muscles soft. I put it under the skin with herbs and over it. I stuffed with various veggies and an apple.

We had cornbread stuffing (holler if you need a recipe!), sweet potato casserole (two kinds, one with kosher marshmellows and one with brown sugar and pecan topping), zuchinni (since we don't have squash), green beans, creamed corn and Featherlight Biscuits with flax... and I went all out and made a coconut pie! It was yum! I need to make another.. it was really that good and I only got a couple of small peices!
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?   Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 2:30 am

A friend brought a wonderful corn cassarole, I am not much on anything that resembles creamed corn so have always been careful about not making or eating cassroles, but since corn is a GF staple, I tried it and it was so delicious! '

She used her own very sweet homegrown corn but it was fabulous, she sent me the recipe I will post it in the veggie recipes section. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?   Thanksgiving/Hanukkah? Empty

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving/Hanukkah?
Page 1 of 1