A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gluten Free Challah

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Gluten Free Challah Empty
PostSubject: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyThu Oct 11, 2007 7:41 am

Gluten Free Challah (By Sara at Delphi Forums)

I haven't tried this one yet, but everyone on other forums who have, highly reccommend it.

Challah (Egg Bread)
(parve)

1 1/2 cups cornstarch
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
3 Tbsp almond meal
1 Tbsp xanthan gum (HS note: you can use the same amount of Guar Gum instead if Corn sensitive)
1 package red star quickrise yeast
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
2 Tbsp dry potato flakes
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk

Mix dry ingredients in heavy duty mixer.

Dissolve potato flakes in warm water, and add slowly to mixer. Add oil and honey. Add eggs and mix until blended. Beat on High speed for 2 minutes - batter should look like pudding.

Spoon batter into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan (I spray with Pam, and use dark Teflon pan). Smooth top surface of batter using WET hand. Cover pan with plastic wrap (spray underside of plastic sheet with Pam so it won't stick to batter as it rises). Let rise in warm place for about 35 minutes or until reaches top of pan (I turn my oven on warm for 30-60 seconds, turn off, then use as warm place for rising).

Using fine serrated knife, cut 2 diagonal lines across top of bread about 1/8 inch deep (lets steam escape).

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes if top gets too brown). Transfer to wire cooling rack, rub top with margerine while still hot.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyThu Oct 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a go for this shabbat. I was a huge bread baker, making my own challah and many other healthy breads for during the week, In fact I still have a whole shelf of all the different grains I baked with, including two boxes of Wheat Gluten! I am waiting for a friend to come over , so I can give them to her, she bakes and has no problem with gluten. I saved them to bake for my husband, but it is hard enough baking and cooking for my self GF then there is the cross contamination to worry about, so He is just going to have to eat what I eat. Thankfully I have a friend who understand, her father was diagnose 30 years ago, so she grew up with it, was tested but she is ok, but she understands.
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyThu Oct 11, 2007 4:48 pm

It sounds good, I haven't been able to find Almond meal yet, but I imagine it's quite expensive, especially since I would look for organically grown. I wonder if garfava could be substituted?
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm not sure about anything being substituted just yet, but I found almond flour/meal at the local kosher shop in Frankfurt first- and then found it on the store shelves out here in the regular stores. One could make it from regular almonds in their food processor if they wished.

My mom said she was able to find a lot of food items for her kitchen through amazon.com and another bulk foods group. Amazon has several sellers listed and various prices. The good thing with them is their free shipping over $25 in the US.
http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-2587578-9799159?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22Almond+meal%22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 3:46 pm

I didn't try it this Shabbat, I had some late season produce and herbs to use up before frost so I made these bisquits ( tomato basil). Since I was making lasagna for company I thought these would go well. I'll post the recipe in a separate thread. Smile
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 11:15 am

I finally made this today.
If you make it, you'll want to have a heavy duty mixer (Kitchenaid) or something like it if you are a nice-nasty like me. (I don't like sticky substances that won't come off my hand Mad )

We'll try it tonight once it is out of the oven. It looks really nice - and were it not for how sticky it is.. I'd make it every week. This looks like something that once I have a kitchen aid, I will make and bake ahead and freeze for each shabbat.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 11:20 pm

I haven't tried your recipe yet but have one I have made now for a few weeks and really love it. It has similar ingredients but there are some differences. I don't think it's sticky and it's easy to mix up. This time I measures a separate bowl with the same dry ingredients so next week all I have to do is add the wet ones and off to the oven!

Measure into a large bowl a 1/2 cup each of these flours:

Tapioca, sorghum, brown rice and white rice

mix them well, add to this 1 tbsp each yeast ( bread machine is fine) and xanthun gum , dried milk powder and almond meal

To 1 cup water ( warm for yeast) add 2 tbsp potato flakes

Mix all dry ingredients well and add to them, 3 eggs slightly beaten, the water and potato mixture, 1/4 C each of oil and honey

Mix well, this can be done at first with a whisk then changed to a large metal spoon or silicone spatula to finnish.

I use a bundt pan to make it 'special' and spray this with oil, then generously sprinkle toasted sesame seeds in there ( make sure you have them toasted first)>turn oven on 200 for 1 minute then turn off, set timer so you don't forget!

Spoon in with spatual the batter which will be thick, and spread evenly in pan. Cover with towel and place in oven for about 30-35 minutes, then bake for 45- 50 minutes. After 1/2 hour has expired check for browning, if nicely browned cover loosly with piece of foil.

This looks lovely and special on a cake stand. I put mine on a cooling rack ( round) so it doesn't get soggy and makes it easier to cut.

I also add cranberries ( dried) and raisins to this to make it even nicer with a poultry meal.

It is really good and smells wonderful. It also makes great Sunday french toast if you can keep from eating it all on Shabbat! cheers
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks, I will try this one next time.

The Challah from the above recipe is rather good (very thick!), but it seems to harden after being left out overnight.

I'm not sure if we can get it all eaten, so I will have to see about freezing it for future meals.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 am

Instead of what I used to serve Challah on , a fancy cutting board, I served this in a fancy cake stand with a dome lid. When you lift it to reveal it for the HaMotzi it puts a wonderful scent into the air and you can't resist it.
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 am

I just found another Challah recipe.... it's one by Betty Hagman... has anyone tried it before?

I found it on another forum which I just applied to join to see if I can find more kosher cooking goodies (Say that 3x really fast" Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Rivka

Number of posts : 7
How long since diagnosed? : 11/2009
Vegitarian : no
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello Hadassah, first thanks for the referral here. It is a tremendous help. Second, do you have any substitutions for the almond flour yet? Allergies here to nuts. Between the three boys,m we are allergic to almost everything but air and water.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 8:02 pm

HadassahSukkot wrote:
I just found another Challah recipe.... it's one by Betty Hagman... has anyone tried it before?

I found it on another forum which I just applied to join to see if I can find more kosher cooking goodies (Say that 3x really fast" Laughing )
I'll have to check my BH's cookbooks, I might. I think the one I posted might be one of hers, will have to check. Smile
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 am

Rivka wrote:
Hello Hadassah, first thanks for the referral here. It is a tremendous help. Second, do you have any substitutions for the almond flour yet? Allergies here to nuts. Between the three boys,m we are allergic to almost everything but air and water.

Unfortunately I'm not finding a substitute. I think this could be something that would work fine being left out. The only thing that the nut flour really does is add some springyness, protein and oil to the batter itself.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:02 am

Could a garbanzo bean flour substitute? I think I have seen that in one recipe I have. Do the boys have allergies to garbanzo ( chick peas) beans?
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:15 am

I checked my Bette Hagmans book and there is a Challah recipe in there , but not near as complicated, I guess she has more than one. I have not tried it yet but it uses, rice flour and tapioca flour, no nut flour, and 5 eggs!

I think I know why I haven't used it, it calls for unflavored geletin and I haven't been able to find a kosher one yet!
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 am

I found a new Challah recipe today on the Pamela's Baking Mix website.

Quote :
Challah Bread

1 bag Pamela's Wheat-Free Bread Mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 yeast packet (enclosed)

Mix all together for three minutes on medium speed in a heavy duty stand mixer, or mix up to the first rising in a bread machine. Put the dough into a large zip lock bag, cut the tip about 1-inch long and "pipe" a braid onto a greased cookie sheet. Make sure you start at one edge as the braid will use up the whole sheet. Helpful hint: have a practice braid made out of ribbon or string to help you see which goes over what.

A Note About Braiding: This dough is too soft to do a long strand that will braid, but by doing one small section at a time, you should get the effect of a braid. Continue squeezing out a small braid of dough crossing it one over the next one, adding to the braid as you go.

Let rise for 60 to 90 minutes then brush on an egg wash (egg yolk mixed with a touch of water). Bake in a preheated 350º oven for 1 hour.

And... someone posted on the net (no idea where.. I keep finding references but no original link) a copycat recipe for her mix.. -- so for those of us outside the US.. this is a help:

Quote :
Pamela's pancake and baking mix clone

1 ½ cups Brown Rice Flour
1 ½ cups White Rice Flour
2/3 cup Cultured Buttermilk powder (Saco brand was what I used)
1 cup Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks)
3/4 cup Tapioca Starch
3/4 cup Sweet Rice Flour
½ cup Potato Starch
3 Tablespoons baking powder
2 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 tablespoon Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Use as you would any bisquick-type substance.

I haven't tried it as I just found it today.. but it looks really Interesting!
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 10:50 am

I made the recipe above this post, and it is really good. I think it needs some tweaking so that it is a little fluffier (agar maybe? dough enhancer?).

It tastes like whole wheat to me. I did it just like the recipe (btw the package is about 9 oz so that should tell you how much of the clone to use).

I'll have to upload photos later since it's getting close to the time my DH comes home and I need to fix some food for dinner.

I tried another challah recipe also, but I will post about it after we both try it. This one I couldn't wait on and we'll have it for tomorrow and I will likely freeze the rest.

I think this one might make a good sandwich loaf if you can find a pan that is deep and wide enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Challah   Gluten Free Challah Empty

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free Challah
Page 1 of 1