A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Matzo recipe review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Matzo recipe review Empty
PostSubject: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:55 pm

PC typing I tried this one posted by HadassahSukkot

Quote :
Matzah #2 (Gluten-Free)
Copyright © 1995-2006
Scott Adams.
Makes 2 large sheets.
This recipe comes to us from Bev Wahl.
1 cup Gluten Free Pantry French Bread mix
4 tablespoons water
1 egg
Mix
all ingredients in mixer on high until dough forms a ball. Roll out
dough thin in between two sheets of parchment paper dusted with more
mix. Cut into squares and prick with a fork to make it look like Matzah
and to keep it from rising at all. Bake at 440F on parchment paper for
18 minutes. Remove and cool.

PC typing I got the oven ready first, had the flour in the processor with the egg at room temp standing by with the water already measured out so when the oven reached temp I put the egg and water in and pulsed. I had to stop a couple of times and using a spatula scrap down the sides to get all to blend but it took less than 2 minutes.

I also had my parchement paper torn off and ready to go. I had it sprinkled with more of the mix on both sides. When the dough turns into a ball, sprinkle it right in the processor bowl , and then turn out onto the parchement paper. Roll in all directions with as little pressure as possible. check to make sure not sticking to paper. Sprinkle more flour mix if needed. I used a large circle cutter to try this and the scrapes are what I am eating right now. Smile Make sure it is rolled out evenly, I went very thin, so be careful to watch not to let it burn. The parchement paper will turn brown too, then it's time to take out, even if your timer doesn't say so. it should be browned on the edges, but not all the way through, or across.

After carefully lifting it to the prepared pans, I used a food holder like this http://fantes.com/images/121231slicers.jpg to quickly poke holes in it, but I discovered they didn't all go through, so make sure you giggle it a little when poking down, poke, and giggle then move on. I went across first about 1/4" apart, then back the the bottom side and continued down the whole piece.

Now about the taste.

Not bad, not bad at all, I ate some plain and some with some egg salad I happened to have on hand. They have somewhat a taste to them, probably because of the egg, but not enough to make you think you are eating good bread, so suitable for the 'bread of afliction'.

I think I shall use this for my Seder, and if anyone complains, I shall accuse them of murmuring and send them to the corner! Laughing

Last edited by Bete'avon! on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, don't forget before serving or storing, to brush off the excess flour that does stick to them, it will make them taste better and be less messy to eat.

They don't seem to crumble a lot, which surprised me because they seemed a bit dry when I rolled and went to transfer to the pan before baking.

Also they do tend to curl, maybe i need more holes, or bigger ones, we'll see with my next batch, what happens, and I'll let you know!

This recipe made 5- 5" rounds and some pieces and squares left over.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm

I would not recommend to double this recipe, because what you make can take up two pans. Just make sure you clean everything thouroughly after your first batch, and use new parchement, don't reuse.

Clean well your, rolling pin, bowl, cutter, and pricker and start your next batch with clean parchement on the pans too.

The mixing and rolling, forming and pricking can all be done under 18 minutes. I did it first time in 7 minutes, from start to finish into the oven.A- OK
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 am

PC typing So, I made two more batches, the Gluten free mall french bread mix allows for this plus all the extra you need to roll it out then some!

The second batch I just rolled out thin and cut it like a tic tac toe, into nine pieces, they are about 4x4' each. These I pricked and giggled and they seemed to have come out more like the traditinal matzo with some raised bumps. I turned them halfway though to help stop the curling, it helped but they still have a concave side to them.

The last batch I rolled out more rectangular and cut this into many smaller pieces which took me more time to prick them, almost 12 minutes from start of mixing until I got them in the oven, but still under 18 minutes. They came out nice, so now I have about 40 pieces which should sufice for the Seder. I don't know if I'll make some during the week to eat, I don't eat that much bread and there will probably be some left over. My hubby has a box of shemurah at work for next week for him to eat, so he is taken care of.

So I think we are set, I will try some other recipes during the year when I have time to experiment, and then may have another to use next year. I hope whatever you choose to make you will have a wonderful Passover!

Chag Sameach!
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:23 am

OK, here's a bit more on this kind. I was not sure how it would keep and didn't want to freeze it so I put it all in a plastic zip type bag and sucked all the air out I could and stored it in the refrigerator, we used it the second Seder and it tasted as it did the night I baked it. In fact we used it for the three and for an afikomen it was nice and bland.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: do it myself Oat Matzah review   Matzo recipe review EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:25 am

PC typing

I could not afford to buy the stuff from the UK, so this is what I did. First I tried the recipe using the gluten free pantry mix. It was ok, but kinda dry and unappetizing, but just perfect for the bread of affliction. Then I tried gluten free girls recipe and not sure if her measurements were wrong or what but these fell apart after baking. I think too much shortening.

So then with less than one day to go, I braved it and tried something on my own. I had a box of uncontaminated toasted oats.

I took these, sprinkled some into the processor bowl and pulsed until it was of a whole wheat texture, then I added a bit of water and pulsed just till it came together. I added a bit of rice flour and some salt and mixed to it went into a ball, just a few seconds. (I had set my timer to 18 minutes and hit is to start as soon as I added the water.)

Then I pulled off walnut sized pieced, rolled them in my hands to make a ball and pushed them down onto the foil lined pan. I took a small plastic baggie and covered it and used a small rolling pin to roll them out to about 1/16 to 1/8th inch thick. Baked on 450 for 9 minutes and took out when the edges just started to brown. I then let them cool on the pan 10 minutes and then moved them to the cooling rack.

They were a hit at the Seder. I made 13 and only two were left. They all said they liked them best. When I went to break one in half it was a bit soft, chewy like, not hard at all, with a bit of taste, but not so much you didn't know you were eating matzo.

I will try and make another batch later this week and experiment with some different temps and times and let you know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matzo recipe review   Matzo recipe review Empty

Back to top Go down

Matzo recipe review
Page 1 of 1