A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Beef Stew

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Beef Stew Empty
PostSubject: Beef Stew   Beef Stew EmptyThu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm

I found some organic/Kosher london broil and didn't know what to do with it. It was a small piece so I decided to cut it into cubes and made a stew. My husband just called from work and he and a co-worker (whom I sent in some for him too) just finnished it and are raving about it so I figured I better write down the recipe before I forget.

3 large carrots
6 small turnips ( young ones, no bigger than a kiwi)
a dozen new potatoes
1/2 large read onion cut in large pieces
half a leek, sliced
Kosher sherry
sage, parsley rosemary if you want.
Olive oil
Cornstarch

Peel turnips and carrots, not potatoes, just wash they well. Steam potatoes whole, carrots cut into 1 inch peices, turnips in quarters for 20 mintues, remove turnips steam carrots and potatoes for another 10-15 until tender but not soggy. You can do this the day before and chill.

Sweat onion in about 1 tbls olive oil for 5 minutes. Add leeks. cook for another 2-3 min. Turn up heat and add beef, and sear quickly. Add a splash or two of kosher sherry to deglaze pan. turn down heat. Add about 3 cups water ( or organic veg broth) . Turn heat to med low. Add potatoes, carrots, turnips. Add fresh sage and parsley, and some Israeli spices ( I have the recipe for this if anyone wants it, you can't get in stores). Let simmer 1 hour. Then add 1 tbls of cornstarch to 1/4 water stir well and remove lumps. Turn up heat to boil and add cornstarch while stirring the whole time. Let boil for one minute, shut off. Serves 4 for dinner.
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

Beef Stew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beef Stew   Beef Stew EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 6:53 pm

Sounds good, where do you get small turnips like that? I've never seen them in my market.Smile
Back to top Go down

Beef Stew
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Very Peculiar People :: Recipe Swap :: Savories - Meats, cheese dishes-
Jump to: