A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gluten Free Puff Pastry

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Gluten Free Puff Pastry Empty
PostSubject: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 am

I'm currently testing this one out to see how it works.

gluten-free Puff Pastry
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
7 tbsp white rice flour
2 large eggs

In a saucepan, bring water, butter, vanilla and salt to a gentle boil. Stir in rice flour all at once and stir until mixture is a smooth ball. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to a smooth dough between each additions. For "cream puffs", use two teaspoons and shape into egg sized balls. For "eclairs" use a pastry bag and pipe into 4" logs onto a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure to leave plenty of room between each. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Filling
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp white sugar
Beat together on high speed until stiff. Refrigerate.

Topping
4 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate
Melt chocolate in a bowl set over simmering water. Stir until smooth.

Allow pastry to cool. Carefully dip each in chocolate to coat the top. When the chocolate has set, fill each with whipped cream eiterh by splitting each in half with a knife or by pressing a round tip of a pastry bag gently through the side and piping full.

I added more sugar than it called for in the recipe (maybe 4 tbs) to make a this causes the whipped cream to taste like bakery made!

HOWEVER, I found if you keep it as directed, it makes a great cool whip substitute, which I will now use in recipes that call for Cool Whip (since it is not available here)
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptyWed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 am

The whipping cream here doesn't hold. I'm thinking because it is ultra pasteurized? No idea. Mad after a lot of work (like an HOUR with a hand mixer) no matter how little or how much sugar it had, it kept reverting right back to liquid.

Soooooooooooooooo

I just made glaze icing for the pastries.. and I will try to come up with something else. LOL
Back to top Go down
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptyThu Oct 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Crying or Very sad Aww, sorry it didn't work out for you, you sound more ambitious than I. I've never tried cream puffs, but used to like chocolate eclairs at Dunkin Donuts be fore they became a nono, both not kosher or GF. Sad

I don't know about pasterization, but you only have a hand mixer? maybe it needs more power and air? not sure, not a great baker. lol!

Let me know if you find the problem, also could this dough be used to make something donut like or not?
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Yeah, I'm thinking it has something to do between the hand mixer and how ultra pasteurized the cream was. I get so disgusted here with stuff like that. They need only pasteurize and not homogenize and it would work so much better!

If I could figure out how to make my own from my regular milk I would, but I doubt I am that patient lol!

Mom said with this recipe if you pipe them out with an icing bag about 4 inches long, they make awesome eclairs. I'm guessing just fill it with a cream filling recipe you can find that works. I found one that said to use veggie shortening, so I may try that one since eggs are incl and more times than not one like that comes out 90% of the time. Laughing

I miss doughnuts... so I'm working on getting a candy thermometer so I can play with the three recipes my mom sent to see which is best. If you get a chance, check out the baked doughnut recipe I posted, that one is about as close to Dunkin's and Krispy Creme's Cake doughnuts. Just make the simple icing (box powdered sugar with a little milk) and my goodness are those awesome!
Back to top Go down
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I'd like to see that recipe you have for the eclairs with the shortening. I will try these soon, right now we are having too humid a weather to bake in, but hopefully soon I can experiment. Tonights Shabbat dessert will be Pamelas brownies, baked right before I put the lasagna in. I can't wait to try these, I haven't had chocolate for so long, except for some local Ice cream that doesn't seem to bother me so far.

But your eclairs and cream puffs sound so delicious and tempting, get me that recipe and I'll try it this coming week, hot and humid or not! lol!
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry EmptySun Oct 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Ok this is for the filling. I'm thinking this is more like a creme horn filling than anything, but I think it would be worth trying for sure!

to insert, you will have to use a pastry bag with a round tip.

1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1 c. Crisco
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
1/4 c. boiling water

Mix well. This icing stays well in refrigerator covered for 1 month. Icing may be colored. Cookies freeze well filled or unfilled.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free Puff Pastry   Gluten Free Puff Pastry Empty

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free Puff Pastry
Page 1 of 1