A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soft Pretzels

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Soft Pretzels Empty
PostSubject: Soft Pretzels   Soft Pretzels EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 2:39 pm

Note: you may have to add more water or more flour to this mixture, depending on the weather in your area, or the humidity in your kitchen.

I have modified this recipe (changed out ingredients and cooking time/temperature) I found on Celiac.com by Becky Ilog.

Ingredients:
2 packages of active dry yeast
1 and one half cups of water at 110F
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Dash salt
2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
4 teaspoons guar gum

For the wash, use one egg and water in equal parts.

Toppings:
Kosher Salt or Coarse Salt
Sesame Seeds
Sugar and Cinnamon
Garlic and Mozzerella
(etc)

Directions:
Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Mix rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum in a medium bowl. Put half the flour mixture into the yeast mixture. Mix with a hand electric mixer on low speed until all ingredients mixed in. Add the other half of the flour. Mix with the mixer until well combined. Do not over beat.

Grease a bowl with Crisco or a few teaspoons of vegetable oil. Transfer the dough to this bowl and turn dough over so that it is greased on all sides. Cover with a damp towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1/2 hour to an hour (I let mine rise for 30 minutes and it turned out just fine, doubled in size).

Preheat the oven to about 375°F, Divide dough into equal pieces (I was able to make 10, her recipe says 8. If you do them too large, they fall apart more easily...

Gently roll each into a rope with your hands and/or on waxed paper. The dough is fragile and will come apart easily so rest the parts that are not between your hands on the waxed paper so that it is supported. Shape the rope into a pretzel shape.

Use the egg wash and then put the desired topping on the pretzels.

Cook for about 15-20 minutes in the oven.

They will be a faint tan but not brown. Remove cookie sheet from oven when done.

ENJOY!
Back to top Go down
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

Soft Pretzels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Pretzels   Soft Pretzels EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 am

I haven't had a soft pretzel in ages, are these like street pretzels, or like Annies?

I love the Glutano pretzels, they have the nice brown crispy outer skin just like a regular pretzel.
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Soft Pretzels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Pretzels   Soft Pretzels EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 11:09 am

They are somewhere in between to be honest. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them dark as usual. But, i did find sea salt and it came out gloriously. If I can subside my sniffles enough I might make some more today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soft Pretzels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soft Pretzels   Soft Pretzels Empty

Back to top Go down

Soft Pretzels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Very Peculiar People :: Recipe Swap :: Breads, crackers, snacks-
Jump to: