A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review Empty
PostSubject: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Baking & Pancake Mix

Our easy-to-use mix creates light and fluffy pancakes
and waffles, as well as delicious breads, cakes and muffins … also, a
great substitute for flour.
http://www.pamelasproducts.com/Products_frames.html

INGREDIENTS: Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Cultured Buttermilk, Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks),
Tapioca Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Grainless &
Aluminum Free Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid
Pyrophosphate, Potato Starch), Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum.

Last edited by Bete'avon! on Fri May 16, 2008 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Now I have tried other Gf baking mixes and didn't care for them so much. I have also tried some recipes for pancakes and came up with one, which I shared before that I was using exclusivly, but I saw this mix and decided to try it. At 6 bucks a bag I was hoping it would be worth it, and happily I can report, it was!

One thing I really like about it so far is that you aren't using up the whole thing in one shot, like the cake mixes. It comes in a 24 zo bag and for the pancakes I made, used only one cup (plus a bit because my egg was extra large) more.

This made 12 -4" pancakes.

Now I know I should have tried this without any additions first but I was making them for hubbys dinner and asked if he'd like some chocolate chips in them. I didn't add very many, only about 1tablespoon full. But since he was taking these for dinner ( he works second shift so we don't get to eat together during the week) I told him he wouldn't be having syrup so I added it to the pancakes, some pure maple, about a tablespoon maybe a little less.

Now for the taste test.

When he called after dinner I asked how he liked them and he, along with me has tried numberous mixes and recipes and he agreed that these are the best! He also gave one to a fellow worker and waited until after he got done eating it and asked how he liked it. This man thought they were very good too (and remember no butter or syrup on them AND reheated in a microwave! ( which we dont' use at home;) ) then hubby told him they wer GF! He was very surprised.

So was I when a bit ago I reheated mine in the toaster oven and too ate them plain, nothing added. these are really great! I origianlly cooked them in some peanut oil in the electric skillet. They browned very nicely, the chips added a nice touch but weren't the best that was the pancake. It could stand alone. I think the bit of syrup was a good addition though and will probably do that again.

They have a great texture, with little holes like a regular pancake, light, but substantial and what I was afraid of, because of the rice flour used promenatnly in the mix, there was no grittyness in the taste at all!

So over all a winner to me, Now I have to try to bake something with this mix , since it is a baking mix too! Wink
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review EmptyMon May 19, 2008 1:59 pm

I found a "clone" recipe for Pamela's mix online, and have tried it a few times. Thus far the things I've had are 'ok' and I like the texture ok. The only issue I have is that not everyone in my family can have stuff I make with it (Mother in law can't have nuts, dad can't have anything corn product and now no nuts/legumes...).

I made pancakes with them and I think there was a muffin recipe I did that called for some of her mix and a brownie-crockpot recipe.. that one was good but too fudgy... I think that was more the issue of how much liquid was in it more than the ingredients. I bet it would have cooked in the oven just fine.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

PostSubject: Re: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:16 pm

So she can't have it becasue of the Almond meaL?

I figured hubby might like it , if he's like my German grandfather, anything like noodles, pancakes, etc, they like lots of.

These really do taste like the wheat variety, even better than bisquick if you ever used that.

I like to throw in some flax seed and uncontaminated oats to pump up the nutrition index, makes them even tastier too!

I'll put the recipe out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 pm

I've used this mix to make muffins and quick breads and it really is very good and very much like a regular gluten baking mix. I found a large bag of it at the health food store and will keep this on hand.

Try using it to make fritters, just make a pancake batter and add shreded veggies to it and fry. Or use it for a batter to batter veggie! GReat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review   Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix - Review
Page 1 of 1