A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

German Laugenbroetchen

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

Number of posts : 254
How long since diagnosed? : a long while now
Registration date : 2007-10-11

German Laugenbroetchen Empty
PostSubject: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 pm

My husband recently found a gluten free recipe for Laugenbroetchen on a German website.

We used a prepared GF mix that already had the guar gum in it (Hammermühle Hell mix), but I think if I am understanding how the recipe works, it would do well with almost any GF mix that has the appropriate amount of Guar or Xanthan gum in it.

The trick to this one though, is letting the yeast work through and truly double or triple when rising. We let it go overnight (about 8 hours or more) before putting it in the water bath and baking. I'm amazed at how easy this was, and look forward to tweaking it.

We found the recipe here: http://www.hellinger-consulting.de/glutenfrei/laugenbroetchen.htm

I'll try to get back with the measurements and info in English soon. Things are crazy out here at the moment and I have to get two sets of cupcakes made. One before Wednesday and one before Shabbat. affraid
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

Ok this recipe calls for the breadmix by Hammermühle "Hell" (light). This is a cornstarch, corn flour, rice flour and potato flour with guar gum-- based flour.

I think the Featherlight recipe with some added cornflour may work, but I have not tried it.

1 kilo of this flour sifted
300ml water
1 teaspoon (from the table, not measuring spoons) sugar
1 package rapid rise yeast
4 teaspoons (US measurements) of Baking Powder

Add the sugar to the water and allow the yeast to proof for about 5 minutes, then add it and the baking powder to the flour. Allow this to sit for 10 minutes.

Mix lightly with a spatula and add three tablespoons (from the table, not measuring spoon) of salt. You will need an additional 300-500ml of water to add as you mix this with the dough hook of your stand mixer.

This takes around 10 minutes.

Add about 5 gram of Natriumhydroxid to 100ml water on the stove. You needn't cook this, but the water needs to be at the least 80 - 90 °C hot for the bread.

Form bread balls with wet hands, and use a slotted spoon to add these to the water on the stove. Remove from the water to a baking sheet lined with baking powder, add coarse salt and cut across the top with a sharp knife.

Bake at 220 °C for 20-30 minutes.

We made these, and the only difference with ours and his, is that we allowed ours to rise overnight (about 7 hours or so) prior to beating it down and forming it.

They came out wonderfully well, and I think that the soft pretzel recipe at Celiac.com will suffice for these if you do not have this breadmix.
Back to top Go down
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 am

I tried this one with the celiac.com pretzel recipe... it didn't work. Mad Save yourself the trouble!

I'll see if I can figure something else out...

We just got the package from the post of our flour, so maybe after I make the ones for tomorrow, I can go ahead and attempt another try with the featherlight mix + some cornflour and see if that does it.
Back to top Go down
Bete'avon!
Admin
Bete'avon!

Number of posts : 578
How long since diagnosed? : 4 years misdiagnosed 15 years
Vegitarian : Partial
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, lol! first I have to ask, what is Laugenbroetchen???

And why were you trying to make pretzels out of it? You said a water bath, it this a kind of bagel?

Show us a picture, that always helps to bridge the language barrier! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com
HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

PostSubject: Re: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Here is a photo of it.

I checked for a translation and it comes across as a literal "lye bread". You use really strong baking soda though.. unless you can find the lye in a concentrate at the pharmacy and purchase it (we just now found some).

Here's the wiki on it, suprisingly in english! Shocked
Quote :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye_roll

...The same lye solution is also used for preparing Brezen; outside of Germany, the pretzel is often the only baked food being commonly glazed with this lye solution. Like those, a good lye roll should be covered with large grains of salt. As a snack, it may also be sold in a variant covered with baked cheese, although this is more recent and less common. Typically the lye roll is cut in half and buttered. In Germany and Switzerland, large soft pretzels are often cut in half, usually buttered, and sold with your choice of cold cuts (salami, ham) and/or cheese.

See: Pretzel

flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German Laugenbroetchen   German Laugenbroetchen Empty

Back to top Go down

German Laugenbroetchen
Page 1 of 1