A Very Peculiar People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Very Peculiar People

Community for those living Kosher, Organic and Gluten-Free Lives!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mock Turtle Soup

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yentl

Yentl

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-10-08

Mock Turtle Soup Empty
PostSubject: Mock Turtle Soup   Mock Turtle Soup EmptyFri Oct 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I used to love Turtle soup, that was back in my pre kosher days of course. I never even thought it had "real" turtle in it,No I just thought it was a name.Duh! But it's been years since I've had it but it was always a favorite and a treat when dining out at a special resturant.

I have come up with a substitue that some may enjoy. This is vegetarian, but not vegan.

2 cups dried black beans or two cans black beans ( about a pound size).

If using the dried, soak overnight in cold water. In the morning rinse and then add 8 cups water, 2 sweet onions roughly chopped ( I use red) , 2-3 carrots, cut up in 1/2 inch pieces, and 2 bay leaves if desired, and a dash of cayenne pepper, about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon depending on your hot preferences, but don't over do it.Heartburn

Cook this by bringing to a boil and skim off the foam, then you can partially cover and turn down so it simmers for two hours or until the beans are tender. If using canned, combine the beans with about 5 cups of water and the carrots, onions and bay and simmer for about an hour.

When the beans are tender ( or the carrots if using canned beans) using hand blender in pot, puree the mixture, making sure to REMOVE the BAY leaves FIRST!Very Happy If you don't have a hand blender ( and they are sure worth investing in, I got a great one for 12$ at K mart) then let cool a bit and transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until pureed.

With puree in the pot add 2 cups fresh corn or frozen, not canned. And 1 red sweet pepper finely chopped to soup. Stir in 1/4 cup of sherry wine. S & P to taste. Bring back to boil to boil off the alcohol, for just a minute or two , then reduce to warm, and serve when ready. You may need to adjust the water level especially if using canned beans.
When ready to serve top with coursly chopped hard cooked egg, and mix slightly into soup. The egg white resembles the turtle pieces. You can also serve this with a little extra sherry on the side to top it with if desired.
Back to top Go down

Mock Turtle Soup
Page 1 of 1